"Talking About Marriage & Relationships"
What is our understanding of marriage and relationships?
And does that need to change?....
Resources recommended by the Marriage and Relationships Task Group
The following two reports, with their study guides, are particularly important to the conduct of our discussions:
- Living with Contradictory Convictions (conference report)
- Living with Contradictory Convictions (study guide)
- A Lamp to my Feet and Light to my Path: The Nature of Authority and the place of the Bible in the Methodist Church (study guide)
A Worship Resource on Living With Contradictory Convictions has been published in association with ROOTS for Churches:
The Methodist Church of Southern Africa produced the following resources for its discussions on Christians and Same-Sex Relationships in 2003:
- Profession of unity in discussions on Christians and same-sex relationships (pdf)
- Discussion Guide on Christians and same-sex relationships (pdf)
The history of marriage in Methodism
The following extract is reproduced with permission from Revd David M. Chapman, and may be used within the Methodist Church subject to the following acknowledgement: "by David M. Chapman, from his book Born in Song: Methodist Worship in Britain (Church in the Market Place Publications, 2006), Chapter 8 'The Solemnisation of Christian Marriage', pp. 197-217"
The following timeline shows some of the points in Methodist history where matters of marriage and relationships have been considered. It includes highlights from the chapter (above) and information from Conference reports.
- History of Marriage Timeline (A3 size pdf)
Conference Workshop 2015
This presentation was used at The Methodist Conference, 2015, and can be adapted for discussions in districts, circuits or local churches. A suggested script is included in the presentation notes.
- Workshop Presentation (ppt)
A Conversation (MP4 Vodcasts)
The Revd Samuel McBratney and Revd Paul Smith talk about Marrriage and Relationships from different perspectives. The full Vodcast is included, and there are three short extracts.